Registration of waste transporters, collectors, dealers and brokers (VIHB)

Published by:
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Do you act as a collector, carrier, dealer or broker of industrial or hazardous waste in the Netherlands? You must register with NIWO (National and International Road Transport Organisation). You will then be included in the national list of carriers, collectors, dealers and brokers (VIHB list).

Registering on the VIHB-list (in Dutch) is mandatory for:

  • transporters of waste
  • collectors of waste
  • waste dealers
  • waste brokers (except logistics brokers)

If you need a recognised transporter, collector, dealer or broker for your company waste or hazardous waste products, you can consult the VIHB-list (in Dutch) on NIWO’s website.

Criteria and competence

To be able to register, you must satisfy certain criteria. In some cases this is not necessary, for instance if you already have another permit for which you meet these requirements. In other cases you should demonstrate your reliability (certificate of good conduct) and your professional competence (certificate of professional competence on waste from CBR, the Dutch Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing, in Dutch). You also need to be registered at the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce (KVK).

Carriers EEA Member States

Carriers established in EEA Member States satisfy the criteria when they possess a valid EU transport licence (EU Regulation 1072/2009). They must enclose with their application a copy of this licence as well as an extract of their registration with the Chamber of Commerce. Instead of the CBR certificate of professional competence, they can submit a certificate issued by their own country's competent authority.

Online registration procedure via Message Box

Using Message Box, you can apply online to NIWO for inclusion in the VIHB list. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.