Logo Dutch central governmentLogo Business.gov.nl, government information for entrepreneurs.MenuSearchSearch

Applying for a display permit for stalls

This information is provided by:Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVONederlandse versie

Do you want to place something in front of your business premises? For example:

  • a stall to display goods
  • an advertising sign
  • a children's ride
  • planters or flower pots

You must make sure the display does not interfere with public order (nuisance), fire safety, or traffic safety. You should check the rules in the General Municipal By-Law of your municipality. In most municipalities you do not have to notify your municipal authority or apply for a display permit, if your display is within the limits set by these by-laws.

Applying for a display permit

In some municipalities you need a display permit. Various conditions determine if you need a permit and if you are granted a permit. These conditions are for instance:

  • the size of the display and how easily it can be removed
  • when your display is placed (for example during opening hours, or on specific days)
  • to what extent it obstructs the pathway (is the passage still sufficient?)

Costs of a display permit

When you apply for a display permit to your municipal authority, in general you will have to pay municipal administrative charges (leges). If you use municipal land to place your display on, you will also have to pay precario tax (precariobelasting).

Related articles

To top