Logo of the Dutch government

Street performers

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Last updated on

Are you a street performer? Do you, for example, want to play music, perform magic or draw portraits in the streets? You usually need a permit or exemption as a street performer, street photographer, pavement artist, film operator or guide from the municipality you want to perform in. To perform in some municipalities a notification will suffice. Consult the municipal authority (in Dutch) of the municipality you want to perform in for more information.

Whether you need a permit often depends on:

  • the location you want to perform
  • with how many people you intend to perform
  • the time and duration of the performance
  • the amount of noise you will produce

Municipalities may designate areas where you are not allowed to perform at all.

Costs for a permit or exemption

When you apply for a permit or exemption you may have to pay municipal administrative charges (leges). This depends on the municipality. Consult the municipal authority for the costs to obtain a street performers permit or exemption.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can apply for a dispensation for street performers also via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy & CookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterYourEurope, this webpage is part of an EU quality networkAccessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1