Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

Vehicle export

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

If you want to export a vehicle from the Netherlands, you must have it deregistered. To this end, you register the vehicle for export with the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW). If you need to drive the vehicle on Dutch public roads while exporting, an export registration number is required as well as black and white license plates.

Registering a vehicle for export

There are two ways in which you can register a vehicle for exportExternal link:

  • You register the vehicles online through a recognised Export Service (erkenning ED).
  • You complete an export statement and submit it to one of the 16 RDW inspection stations or to the Customer Service Desk in Zoetermeer or Veendam.

Certificate of Conformity for vehicles

If you export a vehicle, you have to deal with import and registration procedures in the destination country. The manufacturer issues a Certificate of Conformity (Certificaat van Overeenstemming, CVO) for a vehicle that has been built in accordance with a European type approval. It shows that the vehicle meets the relevant admission requirements. The CVO contains the technical details and the EC type approval number. You will need this number in order to obtain a car registration in an EU Member State.

Transit number plate

If you want to transport a vehicle through the Netherlands without a Dutch license plate, you require a temporary transit number plate from RDW. The vehicle also has to meet certain requirements. You can obtain a transit number plate from one of the RDW inspection stations.


If you export vehicles, e11 type approvalsExternal link will no longer be valid in the EU once the United Kingdom leaves the European Union. Likewise EU type approvals will not be automatically recognised in the UK. If you use e11 type approvals you will need to switch to another Type Approval Authority to trade in the EU. This also applies to e11 type approvals within a non-e11 Whole Vehicle Type Approval (WVTA). UNECE type approvals are not affected. You can transfer your type approvals to the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW). To do so or to obtain a provisional UK type approval to trade in the UK, email the Vehicle Certification AgencyExternal link or visit its websiteExternal link.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO