Brexit: agriculture, fisheries and foodstuffs

This information is provided by

Brexitloket |

Do you export foodstuffs, vegetables, fruit, meat, fish, or live animals? Since 1 January 2021, you have to deal with certificates and permits, checks and customs formalities. You have to face longer waiting times at the border and higher transport costs.

Please note: this information has been adjusted based on the agreement between the European Union and the United Kingdom The government is currently analysing the trade deal. The contents of this page may change in the coming period. If you have any questions you can contact the Dutch Brexitloket.

Set out your route

Make sure you plan your transport well ahead and map out the route. Not all ports perform inspections.

Plants and plant products

Do you want to export plant products to the UK? You have to deal with phytosanitary export certificates and government checks. Also, different rules apply for products, product labelling or product packaging when exporting to a non-EU country.

Live animals and animal products

If you import veterinary goods from the UK – live animals, meat and meat products, eggs, fish and fish products, milk and dairy – you have to comply with different procedures temporarily. You need to be able to show a D-conform declaration and a written confirmation of an inspection appointment. Read why (in Dutch): Proces invoer veterinaire goederen tijdelijk gewijzigd.

5 things to do: foodstuffs and agriculture

It has become harder to export foodstuffs and agricultural products to the United Kingdom. Agricultural products, vegetables, fruit, meat and live animals need to have an export certificate, among other things. If you do not have experience with trading outside the EU, start preparing well ahead. Read more

Agricultural inspection and certifying authorities

close all

Sector organisations

close all

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact Brexitloket

External links

This information is provided by