Applying for an all-in-one permit for physical aspects (omgevingsvergunning)

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Last updated on

In the Netherlands, for most activities with regard to building, renovation, demolishing, construction, living, monuments, environment, nature and open space, you need a permit. This is the so-called 'all-in-one permit for physical aspects' (Omgevingsvergunning).

This permit can be used instead of applying for several individual permits. Under the WABO Act (Wet Algemene Bepalingen Omgevingswet) it is possible to apply for permits via the same procedure. Do the online permit check (in Dutch) to assess the exact type of all-in-one permit you need for your specific activity.

How to apply for an all-in-one permit

You apply to your municipality. Or you apply at the 'Service counter all-in-one permit for physical aspects' (Omgevingsloket Online, OLO). You can apply digitally or in writing. You can also authorise somebody else to apply for you. Please note that the online application service OLO is in Dutch only.

There are different options to apply:

Digital application for companies listed in the Dutch Business Register (Handelsregister)

You apply digitally through your municipality's website. Or you apply directly through the OLO website (in Dutch). You will have to identify yourself with eHerkenning (eRecognition) with assurance level 2 or higher. If you have applied for the permit online via OLO, you can have the handling of your application proceeded through Message Box. For this you fill in your Message Box name with the application.

Digital application for non-resident foreign companies and non-resident foreign private persons

Non-resident foreign companies and non-resident foreign private persons cannot use eHerkenning. So, the procedure is slightly different for them. If you belong to one of these categories, you must first apply for a special account at InfoMil. There are 2 options to apply for a special account:

Generally, you will receive your username and password within 2 days. You can use these to apply for a permit for physical aspects at the OLO website.

Written applications

For written applications there is 1 uniform form. This form is available at your municipality, which will send it to you at your request. You can also fill in the (Dutch-language) paper application form online on the OLO website, then print and send it.

Consult municipality prior to applying

Would you like to know in advance whether an application is promising or not? You can mention this during your online application. The municipal authority will then check this with you. Please note that this service is not available in every municipality.

Decision on your application

Usually, the municipal authorities decide within 8 weeks whether you will be granted an all-in-one permit. More complex applications may take up to 6 months.

Objection and appeal

Has you application been denied? You can object in writing to your municipality. You must state clearly why you disagree with the decision.

Is your objection (partially) rejected by the municipal authorities? You can appeal to the court (in Dutch). You can do so up until 6 weeks after the municipality's decision. It may take a year before the judge rules on your appeal. After this procedure either you or the other party can appeal this ruling.

Temporary exemption order

Are you unable to meet the requirements concerning the environment and planning laws? Then you can apply for a temporary exemption order. You apply for the order, if you meet certain conditions, to a competent authority.

Temporary exemption orders make it possible to carry out an activity in exceptional circumstances. For instance, when you do not have the time to go through the normal procedures due to force majeure or because you are in a transitional situation.

Online application procedure via Message Box

In the province of Noord-Brabant you can apply for this temporary exemption order via Message Box. Message Box is a secure email system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies. You can send attachments with your application. Please check the name that you give to the file(s).

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO