Logo of the Dutch government

Collecting and processing scrap vehicles

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

If you produce or import cars in the Netherlands, you must comply with the Directive on Managing Scrap Cars. Read more.

If you produce cars in the Netherlands, you must comply with the Directive on Managing Scrap Cars (Besluit beheer autowrakken/Bbaw). This also applies if you import cars into the Netherlands. This means you must take measures in order to reduce waste and increase rates of recycling of auto parts and auto materials.

Producer responsibility

In accordance with the directive, you are responsible for managing the cars, including the waste phase. This is called producer responsibility. You must have a system in place to manage the waste process in such a way that there is as little waste as possible and as much reuse of parts and materials as possible. You may arrange this together with other producers or importers.

Notifying scrap cars

You must inform Rijkswaterstaat by e-mail or by post (address to Rijkswaterstaat, Afdeling Leefomgeving Afval en Circulair (LOAC), Postbus 2232, 3500 GE Utrecht) about the acceptance and processing of scrap vehicles within 13 weeks of commencing activities. Within 8 weeks, you will receive a decision from the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management on whether you are allowed to accept and process scrap vehicles. This decision is valid for 5 years. If this decision is positive, you must also provide Rijkswaterstaat with an annual report of the results from the previous year every year by 1 August. If you need more information, you can contact the Waste Information desk.

The information you provide must include:

  • what actions you intend to take to reduce waste and what these actions will accomplish
  • how the scrap cars will be collected
  • information on which parts or materials will be reused and how many
  • how the collecting and processing system will be paid for
  • what agreements have been made for collection and processing if the producer or importer in the Netherlands is no longer responsible
  • how these agreements have been documented

Importer or manufacturer of cars

As an importer or manufacturer of cars you must:

  • code certain materials
  • issue dismantling information
  • refer to dismantling and collection information in advertising material
  • refrain from using certain heavy metals

As a manufacturer you must take preventive measures during design and production to avoid waste that is difficult to process wherever possible.

Recycling contribution for cars

If you sell a new car, you will usually have to pay a recycling contribution to Auto Recycling Nederland (ARN). ARN then pays out premiums to scrapping firms for dismantling cars and reusing materials.

Rules for car dismantling companies

Do you have a company that dismantles cars? Disassembling car wrecks is subject to the environmental rules (in Dutch) of the Activities Decree.

  • you must drain all fluids and disassemble certain parts within 10 working days
  • you must keep fluids and parts for recycling separated
  • you must keep disassembled airbags and pretensioners separated from other materials
  • you are not allowed to stack scrap motor vehicles before disassembly
  • you may only transport scrap cars to a company with shredding equipment or storage facility
  • cars with foreign European plates must have a certificate of destruction

To disassemble car wrecks, you require an All-in-one Permit for Physical Aspects with a limited environmental impact assessment (Omgevingsvergunning beperkte milieutoets, OBM). You must notify the municipal authority of your commercial activities and any changes that may occur therein, using the (Dutch-language) Activities Decree Internet Module (AIM). In order to disassemble discarded trucks or company cars weighing more than 3,500 kg, you require an environmental permit.

If you disassemble vehicles, you must often register as the transporter or collector of waste with the National and International Road Transport Organisation (NIWO).

Registration of car dismantling

If you want to dismantle vehicles from your company stock in the Netherlands, you must cancel the Dutch registration for these vehicles. If you report this to the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) through their (Dutch-language) Online Registration of Automobile Dismantling (Online Registratie Autodemontage, ORAD) system, the cancellation will take immediate effect. To be able to do so, you will need an acknowledgement of vehicles in company stock from RDW and you must be able to register company stock vehicles online.

Extended producer responsibility

Recycling and waste management are priority topics for the EU, and the coming years will see a shift towards extended producer responsibility and recycling of waste. You can find more information on these ambitions on the Rijkswaterstaat Environment website.

This article is related to:

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1