Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government support for entrepreneurs

This article is related to:

Registration in National Childcare Register (LRK)

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If you intend to set up a childcare organisation in the Netherlands (e.g. a childcare centre, out-of-school care centre, childminding agency or playgroup), you must register your organisation with the National Childcare RegisterExternal link (Landelijk Register Kinderopvang, LRK). To do so, you must submit an application for registration to your local municipality at least 10 weeks before starting your business.

How to register?

In order to register, you submit and application form with the required documents to the municipality in which your establishment will be located. You need to enclose at least the following documents:

If you start a childminding agency, you must not only register your agency, but also your childminders, substitute childminders as well as their locations. For this separate forms are available (see below). Each application for the registration of a childminding location should include a safety and health risk inventory. New childminders and/or locations must always be registered by your agency.

Registration forms

For registration, please select the appropriate form below to suit your type of childcare organisation. Please note: All forms are in Dutch.

close all

Please note that since 1 January 2018, the term playgroup is no longer used by the authorities. Former playgroups are now subject to the same rules and regulations as other childcare centres.

After your application

The Municipal Health Authority (GGD) will assess whether your organisation meets all of the requirements. Since 2017, stricter rules apply to the establishment of new centres and changes to the location or owner of a centre. The municipal authority will send you its decision within 10 weeks. You must notify them immediately of any changes of information and details regarding your registration.

Multiple branches, change of location or franchising

If you have multiple branches, you must register each branch in the LRK. If you change your location, you submit a new registration for this new location. In the event of a franchise, the franchisee must register as the owner. The franchisor is not included in the LRK.

Childminders with more than 1 childcare facility

If your childminders have more than 1 childcare facility, you must register them all. You submit a new application for each (new) childcare facility.

Foreign childcare register

If you own a childcare organisation in another EU Member State, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland that is caring for Dutch children, their parents might be entitled to a childcare allowance in the Netherlands. Your childcare organisation will then have to comply with the statutory quality requirements and must be registered in the foreign childcare register.

Online application procedure via Message Box

You can submit the application to register your childcare organisation also online via Message Box. Message Box is a secure e-mail system that enables you as an entrepreneur to exchange digital messages with Dutch government agencies.

This article is related to:

Any further questions?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency

+31 (0)88 602 44 44

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency