Logo of the Dutch governmentGo to homepage

Government information for entrepreneurs

Checklist for carrying out temporary assignments

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency

If you are a self-employed entrepreneur (zzp'er) and intend to carry out a temporary assignment in the Netherlands, you will have to comply with the rules set by the Dutch government. You can use this checklist to quickly determine which obligations you must fulfil.

This checklist is aimed specifically at the self-employed entrepreneur whose company is based outside the Netherlands. Other rules apply if you are a self-employed entrepreneur starting a company or establish a branch in the Netherlands. These rules can be found in the checklist for starting a business and on the pages about starting a business on this website.

Please understand and appreciate that this checklist is merely a guideline. You may be subject to other obligations as well. For further information, contact the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (KvK) or the Dutch Tax and Customs AdministrationExternal link (Belastingdienst). If you want to know more about the business climate of the Netherlands, sectors offering good opportunities and the practical aspects of doing business, visit NFIAExternal link or Holland Trade and InvestExternal link.

1. Check whether you meet the conditions for residence in the Netherlands

You may need a residence permit or a visa if you as an entrepreneur wish to reside in the Netherlands on a temporary basis. You must register with your local municipal authority if you remain in the Netherlands for longer than four months.

2. Check whether you have the professional qualifications required in the Netherlands

You are only allowed to practise certain professions in the Netherlands if you have the correct qualifications. You must have this certificate officially recognised by the competent authority in the country where you obtained the certificate.

3. Apply for an A1/(E)101 statement

If you work in the Netherlands on a temporary basis, you can sometimes remain insured for social security purposes in the country where your company has its registered office. For this purpose you will need to apply for an A1/(E)101 statement from the organisation responsible for social security in your country.

4. Register with the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration

If you provide services in the Netherlands, you may have to pay turnover tax (VAT). For this purpose, you must register with the International Office of the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.

5. Work according to a model agreement

For clients of self-employed professionals (zelfstandigen zonder personeel, zzp'ers) in the Netherlands it is important to know how the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration will assess the exact nature of their business relationship (i.e. an employment relationship or work on a self-employed basis). A model agreement records that relationship.

6. Check whether you need a work permit

You need a work permit if you come from a country outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. Your customer must apply for this work permit from the Employee Insurance Agency (Uitkeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV).

7. Always carry valid proof of identity with you

Your customer is required to make a copy of your proof of identity at the start of your assignment and to keep the copy. In addition, you must always be able to show proof of identity in the event of an inspection.

8. Make sure you comply with health and safety rules

As a self-employed entrepreneur you must comply with a number of rules regarding health and safety at work. You must prevent serious occupational dangers for yourself and the people you work with.

9. Check whether you must charge or may claim back VAT

You may have to charge your customer VAT if you carry out an assignment in the Netherlands. You may also be able to claim back VAT that you have paid in the Netherlands.

10. Check whether you need to file an income tax return

If your business does not have a permanent branch in the Netherlands, you are normally not liable for Dutch income tax. However, in some cases you are liable. You can check this with the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration.

11. Register for a Citizen Service Number

If you have to pay income tax in the Netherlands, you will need a Citizen Service Number (Burgerservicenummer, BSN). You will receive this number upon registration with your municipality or, if you are a non-resident, with the Non-residents Records Database (Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNIBSN).

12. Check whether you need insurance

In the Netherlands, you are not obliged to insure yourself against business risks. However, if you do not have an E101/A1 statement, you will have to take out Dutch health insurance.

Questions relating to this article?

Please contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO)

+31 (0)88 602 44 44

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency