Logo of the Dutch government

Compulsory insurance for foreign seafarers

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO

Non-EU seafaring personnel should in most cases be registered with ZR 67 for sickness and disability benefits. Read here when this is required.

Do you employ seafaring personnel from outside the EU on a Dutch-flagged ship? You must register these employees with the Association Sea-Risk 1967 (Vereniging Zee-Risico 1967, ZR 67). This way seafarers who are not covered by social security will receive benefits in case of illness or work-related accidents.

When is registration required?

You are required to register non-EU employees (in Dutch) with ZR 67 when:

  • The employee on your Dutch-flagged ship lives in a country with which the Netherlands has not concluded a treaty on social security.
  • You employ someone under a Dutch employment contract with a who is not insured under the Sickness Benefits Act (Ziektewet) (nor under a comparable regulation from an EEA country) on a ship sailing under a foreign flag

ZR 67 collects the premiums for any employee who is subject to registration. In case of illness or accidents, ZR 67 pays the benefits. To find out if you need to register your seafaring personnel with ZR 67, you can use their Dutch-language tool.

This information is provided by

Netherlands Enterprise Agency, RVO
FAQPartnersContactAbout usDisclaimerPrivacy and cookiesAccessibilityOndernemersplein (Dutch) is an initiative of:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Enterprise Agency, RVOImmigration and Naturalisation Service, INDTax and Customs Administration, BelastingdienstGovernment.nlStatistics Netherlands, CBSNetherlands Vehicle Authority, RDWDigital Trust CenterEuropean Commission Point of Single is the Dutch Point of Single Contact for entrepreneurs.Accessibility level: W3C WAI-AA WCAG 2.1