Logo Dutch central governmentLogo Business.gov.nl, government information for entrepreneurs.MenuSearchSearchHomeStarting your businessFirst steps for setting up your business

Permits for your business

This information is provided by:Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKNetherlands Chamber of Commerce, KVKLast updated on Nederlandse versie

When you start a business, you may need one or more permits or licences. For instance, for serving alcohol, or for renovating your business premises. Find out where to go.

When do you need a permit or licence?

In many cases, you will need a permit. For instance, when you open a cafe. Or when you want to build or extend a business location. You may also need a permit to put up advertising.


Check if you need any business permits before registering your business at KVK. See step 1:

Registering your company, step 1 and 2

Permits to work and stay in the Netherlands

Are you from outside the European Economic Area? Then you may need a residence permit and a work permit to live and work in the Netherlands. Make sure you know which residence documents you need before you start your business in the Netherlands. Use our Coming to the Netherlands as an entrepreneur tool.

If you hire foreign personnel, you may need to apply for a work permit for them. Or perhaps you want to hire a highly skilled migrant. Not sure what to do? Contact the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service IND for help.

Permits for your sector

The checklists on this website will help you identify the permits and licences you need to apply for in your business sector. For instance, if you want to establish a taxi company.

All-in-one permit for physical aspects

Do you want to do something that changes your business premises or its environment? Such as expanding or renovating your factory or offices? Or putting up a neon sign? You will need an all-in-one permit for physical aspects. You apply for this permit for a number of activities. For example: building, cutting down trees, putting up advertisements, and activities with an environmental impact. To apply for an all-in-one permit for physical aspects, go to the (Dutch) online Omgevingsloket.

Contact your municipality

In many cases, you will need to apply for permits at the town or village where your business is located: your municipality. Some municipalities only offer information about permits in Dutch. If you are unsure of the permits and licences you need, contact your municipality and explain your situation.

To top