On this page
To help employees and self-employed professionals who have less or no work as a result of the corona crisis, the support scheme NL leert door (the Netherlands keeps on learning) has been set up. This scheme is meant to provide participants with development advice programs free of charge, to give them insight into and help them increase their chances on the labour market.
The measure is also meant to support employers (in Dutch) in complying with the condition for the NOW2.0 scheme to stimulate employees to take retraining or reskilling courses. Later on (this fall) online training and reskilling courses will be made available as part of this scheme.
What is Nl leert door?
NL leert door offers workers and jobseekers the opportunity to get career and development advice or training to help them keep their job or find other work. It offers employers The first stage of this scheme offers free of charge career advice processes, later on online training courses will be made available.
Anyone between the ages of 18 up to retirement age with ties to the Dutch labour market can participate:
- employees (in Dutch)
- self-employed professionals without personnel (zzp-ers, in Dutch)
- flex workers (in Dutch)
- unemployed persons (in Dutch)
From 1 August 2020 you can apply for a development programme free of charge. To participate in this scheme this scheme you need to apply with a certified career counsellor. This career advisor registers the process, applies for a subsidy and handles the necessary administration.
As an employer (in Dutch) you can point out this scheme to your employees, to help them find a career counselor or coaching company. This way they can better their knowledge, skills and experience to find another job or to help your company be more prepared for the future.
How to find a qualified career counsellor?
If you want to participate in this scheme, you can approach a qualified career counsellor or coaching company. The one thing you need to make sure of, is to check whether a career coach is qualified and has enough experience in the field (3 years). Ask if they participate in the NL leert door scheme. You can for instance search for a career coach near you via 1 of the following websites:
- Noloc the Dutch association for career professionals and jobcoaches offers an overview of professionals (in Dutch)
- CMI Career Management Institute (in Dutch) offers a register of qualified professionals
- OVAL (in Dutch) is the sector organisation of qualified career coaching companies
You can also make an appointment with an advisor of the so-called Leerwerkloket in your region. This is part of the learning and working organisation which in every region is facilitated by 1 or more municipalities, the regional vocational training centre (ROC) and the Employee Insurance Agency (Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV).
Are you a career counsellor?
Are you a career counsellor (in Dutch) and do you want to qualify for this subsidy scheme? You can register through the development advice portal (in Dutch). Here you also register participants for development advice processes. This is important because you will only be able to apply for the subsidy for registered processes. You can apply for a maximum of €700 for each development process. Please note: you can apply for the subsidy only after the development advice process has ended.
You need to be a certified career counsellor, this means:
- you have completed relevant training at higher professional level (HBO-niveau) in a people- or organisation-oriented field or completed a different higher professional education with additional people- or organisation-oriented training and courses.
- you have at least 3 years relevant professional experience
- you declare to comply with the code of conduct for this scheme
The code of conduct implies the following:
- Your work is primarily aimed career development, outplacement, relocation, advice on entrepreneurial skills, reintegration, job coaching and study and/or career advice.
- In your work you make sure you do not represent conflicting interests.
- You take the utmost care and refrain from conduct that affects confidence in and esteem of your profession.
- You focus your activities on coaching the client in their career development or expanding of his or her entrepreneurial skills. You will inform your client upfront about any conflicting activities you may have performed for their employer in the last 2 years.
- You take into account the influence you may have on your client and their dependence on you.
The advice process
After a career counsellor registers the process through the development advice portal, the participant will receive an email with the request to confirm the registration. The career counsellor will then receive a code which he/she needs to provide later on, when applying for the subsidy.
A career counsellor must have the participant complete a labour market scan, which he/she purchases for the participant, before the first interview.
Interviews with the participant must have a total duration of at least 4 hours. In these interviews you talk about subjects such as awareness of and insight in the current situation, the labour market scan, future prospects, competences and qualities et cetera. The career counsellor must draw up a report of the interviews and the participant draws up a development plan, either on his own or with your help. You both sign the report as well as the development plan.
The process is concluded with a declaration of performance which both you and the participant sign.
How to apply?
Participating individuals apply with a qualified career counsellor who participates in the NL leert door scheme.
Career counsellors can register their development advice programmes through the development advice portal from 1 August until 31 December 2020, 17:00 hours.
Career counsellors can apply for the subsidy after a development advice process has ended through mijnuitvoeringvanbeleidszw.nl (my implementation of policy) from 1 October 2020. You can apply until 1 March 2021, 17:00 hours unless the subsidy limit has been reached before this date.